Saturday, August 30, 2008

We are in Hawaii





I haven't had a chance to post since we have been so busy visiting with family and enjoying the pool and the beach. It has been great hanging out with Daniel, my nephew, who is in the Marines and stationed here for 3 years (hopefully). Some of you might be wondering why on earth we are getting on the plane again with the kids after our recent travel to Vietnam. I was wondering this myself 4 hours into the trip. Well, so far it has been worth it. Some highlights of our trip:




Sunday: Dim Sum in Chinatown with Aunt Pat and Daniel.


Monday: We drove out to the north shore and stopped at the Dole Plantation. Nick, Daniel, and John made their way through the maze while Mia and I shopped. Later we went to Haleiwa for lunch at Breakers and stopped for shave ice at Matsumotos. We then decided to take the hike up to Waimea Falls. It isn't anything like what I remember it to be as a kid when you could swim at the base, and jump in from the top of the falls. It is still a beautiful hike. Nick didn't complain at all, in fact he ran almost the whole way. I decided to keep in company and jogged with Mia in the stroller.



Tuesday: We had lunch with Aunt Pat, Uncle Larry, my cousin Craig and his wife Gladys and their kids Emily and Katie (now 10 and 12...they are so cute!), Aunt Peg and Uncle Willie, Gladys's parents, Jonie (my late cousin's wife) and her parents. Everyone got to meet Mia. Gladys gave her a beautiful Hawaiian style dress. Later Aunt Pat and I went shopping at Ala Moana.

Wednesday: We spent the day relaxing at the pool and the beach and later went for a walk/dinner in Waikiki. Mia loved the water!!! She might not look like it in the pictures, but she kept walking back out into the waves.
Thursday: We visited my grandparent's and Kurt's graves located on Diamond Head with Aunt Pat and Daniel. This means alot to Nick even though he was never able to meet them. Last month he reminded me that it was time to visit my father's grave since it has been a long time since we lasted visited. Unfortunately he never did meet my father. But a few times a year he reminds me it is time to visit. He is very thoughtful, especially for a 5 (soon to be 6) year old boy. Later we went for Korean BBQ and a hike to the Manoa falls. The hike really wasn't that easy since it was muddy and slippery (it is a tropical rain forest). Aunt Pat did great especially considering she is almost 78 years old. She is so youthful for her age. In fact she is going to South Africa next month as a single on a tour. I hope to be like her when I'm 78. Both kids enjoyed the hike. I think Mia really liked being in the carrier with her Dad...she looked really comfy.






Mosquito bite count:



John - 0



Nick - 0



Daniel - 0



Mia - 3



Beckie - 31

Friday: We visited the USS Arizona Memorial with Daniel since he had not yet been. We also visited last time we were here (2 years ago). It is such an interesting tour, I didn't mind visiting for a second time. It leaves you feeling sad and also patriotic. I looked around and didn't see any Japanese tourists, although Daniel said he had seen a few. My father was 8 years old when Pearl Harbor was bombed by the Japanese. Aunt Pat, who was 11 years old, said that they had just returned from church and her Mom was ironing some shirts when they heard explosions. They look outside and saw Japanese war planes. I can't imagine how frightening that must have been for them. I remember my father saying that for months they had to have lights out at a certain time every night so the island could not be seen from the air. Many of their neighbors built bomb shelters, but my Dad and his family didn't...I don't think they had a place to put one.

(See Nick below with his Junior Ranger badge...he was so proud).



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home